Using thoughtful language can improve communication with patients, especially those who are pregnant or may be pregnant.
- Person with an alcohol use disorder
- Person in recovery
- A developing baby’ alcohol exposure can reach the same level as the mother’s during pregnancy.
- There is no known safe amount, no safe time, and no safe type of alcohol use during pregnancy.
Instead of This
- Addict, alcoholic, substance abuser
- Ex-addict, reformed addict
- When a pregnant woman drinks alcohol, so does her baby.
- Why would you put our baby at risk of having problems by drinking during pregnancy?